The Magnolias at 1617 Monroe St. is a Vicksburg landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
The location and architecture are significant. The site was once owned by the Vick Family for whom Vicksburg was named. It was subdivided in 1867 as Southmayed Survey. Twelve lots were laid out; eleven homes built. Of the houses constructed in the original Southmayed development, only two remain. The Magnolias is the lone survivor on Monroe Street.
Hand-picked lumber was air dried on site before construction. Workmen regularly turned the timbers to prevent warping and discoloration. Materials and workmanship were reputedly the finest of the period. Square nails were used and walls were plastered over cypress lath.
The house was lighted by gas. Some of the original fixtures remain. Cisterns supplied water, their imprint still shows.
The exterior features are the finest of the area with special pierced columns being used on the front porches. The finely-crafted brackets, balustrades and friezes are significant.
The hand-hewn front door is centered between sidelights with a transom of etched glass. The doors and floor-length windows are in arched, molded surrounds.
Inside, the doors, windows, baseboards and moldings are enhanced with distinctive woodwork. Iron medallions can be seen above the chandeliers in the parlor and dining rooms, which are joined by massive pocket doors. The stairway has an elaborate hand-sawed Newell that ascends straight to the second floor.